Applications are being accepted for the 2011 programme for Balkan journalists, ‘Economic and Political Reporting from Southeast Europe’ jointly run by Robert Bosch Stiftung and Thomson Reuters Foundation.
To foster quality analysis and reporting on economic issues, enhance coverage on topics that are central to the region’s economic and political development and encourage regional networking among journalists, the Robert Bosch Stiftung and the Thomson Reuters Foundation initiated the programme ‘Economic and Political Reporting from Southeast Europe’ in 2007.
Fifteen journalists from the Balkans are competitively chosen to participate in the programme, run by experienced ex-Reuters journalists. The programme includes two 10-day courses in the UK (3-15 April) and in Germany (18-30 September). Participants will also travel to Brussels and Berlin to meet policy-makers and journalists covering European financial and political affairs.
Applicants must be able to speak English and be full-time professional journalists who have been working for at least two years with a recognised publication, website, radio or television station. Applicants must have a portfolio that includes experience in economic journalism or must otherwise demonstrate a strong interest in economic and political issues.
Applying journalists must be citizens of Albania, Bulgaria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, or Slovenia. They must have permission from their employer to take part in both parts of the programme. Please apply online on ReutersLink: http://www.reuterslink.org/courses/bosch_april_2011.htm
The following submissions have to be added to your application (all online):
- A biography of up to 200 words outlining your career.
- A story of up to 200 words on the state of your national economy.
- A statement of up to 200 words describing any factors affecting your work as a journalist. Explain how you hope to benefit from the course for which you are applying.
- A letter from your current employer confirming support for your application and granting leave of absence.
- Two recent examples of your published work, preferably relevant to the course for which you are applying, with a brief summary in English (if necessary). TV/Radio journalists can send in their scripts and a brief summary.
Please visit Robert Bosch Stiftung’s website at
www.bosch-stiftung.de/economic_reporting to find more information on the programme and experiences of former participants.
The deadline for receipt of applications is February 7, 2011.