European Alternatives, in collaboration with the Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Project, will be running an Online Course on Countering Hate Speech in Europe for the first time in 2018. To lead groups of European Alternatives learners who will take part in the course, we are looking for Online Facilitators!
In recent years, the normalisation of hate speech throughout Europe has contributed to the radicalisation of individuals and collectives against the Other, fueling hate crimes and violence towards marginalised groups. From forcible evictions of Roma people to attacks and stigmatisation of LGBTQI+ and minority faith communities, the hate narrative gradually weakened the social cohesion between communities and further threatened democracy, equality and the rule of law across the continent.
To tackle hate speech, European Alternatives is organising an action-oriented Online Course for the first time in 2018. The Online Course is designed for activists, students or passionate citizens keen to get a deep insight into hate speech, its forms, causes and consequences, how it is regulated in Europe, and what can be done to effectively counter hate and promote open societies. The Online Course especially gives space for the learners to dive deep into discussions on the topic with a diverse group of peers and initiate actions to counteract hate across Europe.
To enable these spaces, European Alternatives, in collaboration with the Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Project, will be running an Online Course on Countering Hate Speech in Europe for the first time in 2018. To lead groups of European Alternatives learners who will take part in the course, we are looking for Online Facilitators! The Online Facilitators will have the opportunity to take part in a 5-week Advanced Online Facilitation training from August 12th to September 20th and commit to facilitate groups of learners online for our course on Countering Hate Speech in Europe starting at the end of October for 6 weeks.
As part of the Advanced Online Facilitation Course, you will be engaging you in small online interactive group sessions with peers from across the world to develop and practice dialogue facilitation, technology, and conflict resolution skills and learn how to guide and deepen cross-cultural discussions and collaborations. After the training, you will be part of an international community of volunteer facilitators, access to dialogue facilitation resources and online learning materials as well as to continued development and training, and get the opportunity to have hands-on experience leading online groups for successful learning to counteract hate speech in Europe.
Before applying, here’s what you need to know.
- We’re looking for people who:
- Are ready to take part in a 5-week Online Facilitation Training from August 12th to September 20th. The application fee for the training is waived for the applicants;
- Are ready to commit to facilitate groups of learners of a maximum of 5 hours a week, including 2 hours of conversation, to our Online Course on Countering Hate Speech in Europe starting at the end of October for 6 weeks;
- Are proficient in English;
- Have some knowledge of hate speech, human rights, and some experience with facilitation or moderation would be useful.
- There is no registration fee to the Advanced Online Facilitation Course, if the requirements above are met.
- The deadline for applications is midnight (GMT+1) August 5th.
- Read our call for applications carefully and apply online here
We’re looking also to represent the diversity of people living in Europe. We are particularly committed to enable the participation of people from racial and ethnic minorities, people from LGBTQI+ communities, people with disabilities and people who identify with disadvantaged economic classes.
If you don’t identify as one of these groups, we still want you to apply – but if you know of an awesome person who does, encourage them to apply as well!